Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Holiday Treats from My Slovenian Kitchen



Suddenly it is December.

Where did the year go?

And now it's time for holiday baking.  Thanks to my year of Slovenian cooking, I have already been practicing the two big holiday favorites in my family: Potica (of course!) and a Slovenian-inspired twist on Scottish shortbread.

But I have also discovered some new favorites that are perfect for family gatherings and holiday entertaining.

Below is a round-up of the desserts, pastries, and sweet breakfast treats that have come out of my Slovenian American kitchen in the past year.  An even dozen.  The first eight are traditional favorites. The last five are Slovenian-inspired originals. 

Most of these dishes were made for special occasions.  Thanksgiving and Christmas. Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. The Fourth of July. Labor Day.  Slovenian Hall events.  Family visits and birthdays.  Times that are both celebratory and bittersweet.

Links are included for the recipes that are already posted.  The others will be up in the next couple of weeks.  Photos for all these dishes follow below.

Happy holidays and dober tek, from my kitchen to yours!
Flancati, Baked (Angel Wings)
Palačinke (Crepes)
Prekmurska Gibanica (Strudel Pie)
Ice Cream with Pumpkin Seed Oil and Nut Brittle
Buckwheat Breakfast Crumbles (an original twist on a traditional favorite)
Caraway-Buckwheat Shortbread (original, Scottish-Slovenian fusion)
Chocolate-Rosemary Biscotti (original, Slovenian-inspired)
Potica Pudding-Muffins (original, Slovenian-inspired)
Pumpkin Pie with Pumpkin Seed Oil (original, Slovenian-inspired)






Apple Cranberry Strudel



Walnut Potica and Scottish Shortbread



Baked Flancati or Angel Wings




Putizza di Noci



Prekmurska Gibanica



Apple Šmoren with Brandied Cranberries


Palačinke with Šmoren


Pumpkin Pie with Pumpkin Seed Oil



Chocolate-Rosemary Biscotti

Ice Cream with Pumpkin Seed Oil and Nut Brittle



Caraway-Buckwheat Shortbread


Buckwheat Breakfast Crumbles


2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    My name is Ray and I came across your blog as I was searching for the Italian spelling for Potica. My dad's family is from Slovenia, and many live there today. Potica made by my grandmother was a holiday treat when my father was young and as I was growing up. I love the smell of the walnut potica as it comes out of the oven. Today, one of my sisters and I each bake Potica in our homes. Thank you for sharing the other recipes. I will have to have my dad check out this blog to see if he relates to any of the other dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Ray! Where in Slovenia was your dad's family from? Where did you grow up? Always love to hear about men who bake potica :-) (One of my sons and a nephew do too!)

    Blair

    ReplyDelete